Thursday, March 19, 2015

Day 25 - Amarillo, TX

August 24, 2014

I awoke early in the morning and packed up my camp before heading to the river one last time. Of course, Mr. Jimmy Buffet accompanied me once again. For the last few days, he was the sole occupant of my stereo. I fished for several hours and caught a 10" rainbow. As I was leaving, however, I noticed the most beautiful rainbow trout I have ever seen. The large fish had an electrifying, green back and bright pink sides, with even hints of orange. I crept up on it and cast my nymph rig. This was a mistake. I should have been patient and tied on a more delicate dry fly rig. The big weight and indicator did not completely scare the fish. But the rig did spook it enough for it to meander to another part of the river where I lost it. Finally, I had to leave.

In the parking lot, I cleaned up my truck. I got rid of all of the trash that littered the cab and packed up the rods that I had left geared up in the passenger's seat for the last few days. I stopped by the Chaparral General Store once more for an icecream sandwich and then began the long journey home.

North of Amarillo, my check engine light came on. I pulled over and called my parents. I then made the decision to continue onward to a KOA campground in Amarillo. I arrived very late at night and slept in the bed of my truck.

Odometer - 5750 mi

The final fish! A 10" rainbow trout

No comments:

Post a Comment