Sunday, March 15, 2015

Day 20 - Colorado Springs, CO

August 19, 2014

For better or worse, I showered and got back on the road after only sleeping four hours. I had made plans to meet another friend, Erica, in Colorado Springs, and I knew I had a long distance to travel. I grabbed breakfast at a McDonalds at a truck stop.

I traveled up through Wichita, KS. Along the way, I stopped for gas and more coffee. I said hello to a young African American guy who was cleaning out the trashcans at the gas stalls. I asked him how his day was going. He replied "I'm living the dream." Sensing the sarcasm on his voice, I laughed and asked "Oh really?" He looked at me and said "yea, someone's dream... not mine." I didn't have a response. I went inside to use the restroom and get some coffee, all the while thinking about what he said. As I drove away, I noticed him several stalls down and pulled up next to him. "Hey man, you said this wasn't your dream. So, what is your dream?" I asked. This question seemed to catch him off guard, I doubt he expected me to ask him that. He said "I want to open my own shoe store." "Well," I replied, "I wish you the best." He looked me in the eye, walked over to my truck, and shook my hand as he thanked me. I was glad I asked him.

I made great time as I cut west to my destination. Plus, I forgot that I would have a timezone change as I traveled. So I arrived at my destination very early. I grabbed a late lunch at Wendy's in Colorado Springs and then went to the Peak Fly Shop and got some flies for trout fishing the next couple days. When Erica got out of a meeting at the Air Force Academy, I met her at a Starbucks and we had a little time to talk and catch up. We were limited to 20 minutes, as I had plans to meet some of Cassie's relatives in Colorado Springs, as well.

After departing with Erica, I met Cassie's aunt, uncle, and their two sons at their home. I played soccer with the little guys before dinner. After dinner, Cassie's uncle, his youngest son, and I walked around the Garden of the Gods. That night, Cassie's aunt and uncle helped me plan where I would camp the next few nights. One thing I encountered in Colorado that I hadn't anywhere else on the trip was the demand for campgrounds. Apparently, most campgrounds in Colorado are reserved well in advance. Fingers crossed, I hoped I could find a vacant campground.

Odometer - 5100 mi



Garden of the Gods

No comments:

Post a Comment