Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day 14 - Edgewater, FL

August 13, 2014

I woke up at about 9:30 AM with no plans for what I was going to do today. Yes, you read that correctly. I did say "today." For a brief moment, I am caught up on blog posts. However, I believe this to be short lived, as will soon be explained.

So, as I sat in my room, I searched on my phone for places to go. Soon, I ruled out spearfishing, as I had originally planned. Due to tough regulations, I would have to hire a guide to get far enough offshore to be legal. That didn't appeal to me. So, I searched for places to fish out of a kayak in Florida. As it turns out, there is a paddle-only area on the East Coast of Florida that is also, arguably, the best place in the world to catch redfish. I made some calls and came up with a general idea of what I would do there. The region is known as Mosquito Lagoon and I would be targeting the Shipyard Island Paddle Trail, a known location for manatee sightings.

I ate breakfast at the next door Ihop. I had driven 10 minutes away before realizing I left my debit card at Ihop. So, I turned around and headed back to pick it up. By the time I arrived, rain was pouring. When I got back into my car with the card in hand, I was drenched.

I drove 5 hours to Titusville. I chuckled to myself as I realized that I embarked on the 5 hour drive as if it had only been a 1 hour trip. At this point, I have spent 71 hours driving on this trip. Maybe that's why a 5 hour drive doesn't affect me much right now. I did, however, break the 3,000 mile mark of this trip on today's journey.

Originally, I planned to rent a kayak that night. Even though I only made one stop, I didn't arrive in time. However, I did make it to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and the Canaveral National Seashore. As opposed to the bland area of the Everglades I had previously driven through, this region was awesome. I skipped lunch for the second day in a row today, but just being here filled me with energy. 

I stopped at the entrance booth to the southern part of the national seashore. After speaking with the ranger, I called the ranger at the northern part of the park, the part with the campgrounds. As I had read earlier, there were only 12 sites in the entire national park and they were all paddle-in spots, meaning you had to take a kayak or canoe to reach them. I was hooked. Talking to the ranger on the phone, I learned that no one was camping there this week until saturday. The whole gamut of sites were available to me. Being as the region is a marine environment, the area is comprised of many jungle-like islands, separated by water. Some areas of land didn't have a single plant greater than waist-high while others were dominated by tall palm and coniferous trees.

Next, I drove to a Publix grocery story to get some canned soup, summer sausage, crackers, and water. I plan to leave tomorrow and spend 3 nights in the wilderness at the primitive sites. If I enjoy it, I will extend my stay. 

After a Burger King dinner, I drove to a nearby boat ramp. I walked around the docks as I talked to my friend Billy (the one I fished with in Alabama) on the phone. Still talking, I had just stepped off the dock and onto solid ground when I turned around and saw an enormous, flat tail come out of the water near the end of the dock I had just been on. Manatee! I ran to the end of the dock, thinking I had missed my one chance to see a manatee. Soon, I saw it and another manatee surface a little ways away, headed for another dock. I ran to the other dock and watched them pass by. One had a 2' by 3' scar on its back from a boat propeller.

I walked back to the original dock and quickly realized that the previous two manatees were not the only ones I would see. I was surrounded by manatees! I watched one swim into a canal and then I ran to the end of a dock and watched one swim two feet below me. It was incredible. Not to be outdone, a school of mullet spanning at least 60' by 40' exploded on the surface of the water. I was jittery with excitement to get on the water tomorrow. 

I parked my truck in a different location where I thought I could get away with sleeping in my truck. Then, I proceeded to dump everything I might take on the boat with me into my truck bed. It was after I had completely covered my truck bed with junk that I realized how dark it was and how close the nearby thunderstorm was to all of my gear and food. In less than an hour, I literally ran around, deciding what to bring and not to bring. I got my gear and food limited to a big clear box, my backpack, and my fishing gear. 

I drove into town with the windows down to flush the mosquitoes out of my car. Parked outside of the Publix grocery store, I decided it would be better to get a good night of rest in a motel than save money and sleep terribly in a hot and humid car. I have at least 3 nights of poor sleeping ahead of me anyway.

So, here I am in my Best Western room that I got with the Hotwire app for 40% off. It's 2:25 AM on the morning of August 14th and I am finally caught up on this blog. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to post any blogs over the next couple days. Hence the comment in the first paragraph.

Odometer - 3100 mi

Random enormous sphere in the national park... might be concealing the world's largest water balloon



Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and Canaveral National Seashore

Two manatees. One has an enormous boat prop scar

Manatee travelling through a canal

Close enough to touch!

Massive school of mullet

No comments:

Post a Comment